Paeonia 'Globe of Light'

Aspire to be a Flower

Monday, January 15, 2007

Social Context Post #3

Why Kids Need Violent Entertainment
By: Gerald Jones

Gerald Jones writes a provocative article about the need for violence in entertainment for young children. When I first read the title of this article I thought that I was not going to like it very much, or even agree with anything Jones would have to say. But I stand corrected and found what he had to say at least somewhat valid.

Jones begins the article by reliving what his childhood was like and how violent comics helped him to become who he is today. Jones states that the need for violent entertainment is really just a vehicle in which children can steer the feelings of rage and powerlessness. It is a place where aggression can be let out and where children can escape.

I thought that this was a reasonable claim and then began to wonder how much of this violence became a reality. Jones also spoke to this and stated that he was not arguing that violence was completely harmless and that in some rare cases it does help to create real violence, but the numbers are in favour for those who it helps. I tend to question this statement and I wouldn’t mind seeing some concrete facts, I am sure there is a study somewhere that has tired to measure this.

When reading this I always come back to what I friend of mine said to me once, she has two boys, who are always playing war. Anyways we were talking about this one day and she said that even if she never gave her boys toy guns to play with, they would find another way to make some resemblance of one, the most common is built right into us, how many times have you seen young kids use their hand as a gun?

So maybe Jones is right, maybe this need to release feelings of rage are so strong that violent entertainment is just the right place. I am still out on this one, I guess it is just one of those grey areas for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home