Paeonia 'Globe of Light'

Aspire to be a Flower

Monday, January 29, 2007

Social Context Post #6
What do we say when we hear the word “Faggot”
By: Lenore Gordon

This article is really short, to the point and it brings up some very relevant discussion about name-calling. This article focuses on the use of derogatory terms aimed at homosexuals. The author begins the article by giving some examples of school children that are ridiculed in school because of their sexual orientation. Along with the vivid description of how it is affecting these young people the author also talks about cruel games that are played and the origins of the words some students use against other students. It is quite disturbing to read what is going on in some schools yet I guess kids can be cruel. I agree with the author in the way she deals with the situation when she hears derogatory terms, I think that she handles it well and I can assume that the students get the point.
I think that this article can be applied to all name-calling. No matter why it is being done, students need to understand that it is not acceptable. It is heart breaking to know that some of the names can stick with a person for a lifetime. I know that when I was in school I was called names and I called names and it is not a pretty place, it hurts to be called names and it feels horrible to call someone else names as well. Why do kids do it? Why do adults do it? It seems so pointless! Anyways I think what she says in the end is a great point, students need to be taught to not only defend their rights but they need to defend the rights of others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home